Volunteering in Ohio
Have a positive impact on the environment by becoming part of our conservation volunteer community!
More than ever, we know that nature nourishes the mind, body, and spirit. The Nature Conservancy’s work has never been more important, and we value your support of our preserves and work in Ohio.
The Nature Conservancy in Ohio has made the decision to resume small group stewardship events at our open preserves this spring with specific safety protocols in place. In-field events will be in addition to the virtual programming offered on the weekends focused on Nature Lab and Stewardship specific informational workshops. There will be many ways for us all to connect with each other and with nature across Ohio.
Welcome to TNC Ohio’s Volunteer Program!
Thank you for your interest in helping to protect and preserve nature on our spectacular preserves all over Ohio! There is much to be done and we need your help. When you sign up to volunteer for The Nature Conservancy, you will be welcomed into a family of dedicated individuals committed to protecting our state's finest natural areas.
Whether you are interested in getting your boots dirty on our trails or organizing data at our office, we have something for you.
Attention: Quick Volunteer Survey Help us stay current and continue to make our program better. Please let us know your thoughts.
- Contact Us: Use this Volunteer Information Form to tell us about your interests and let us know the best way to reach you. Send this form to our Volunteer Coordinator, Angela Burke: 380.206.2173 or email@example.com. You will then be added to our volunteer email list and will receive updates on events in your area. Learn more about our volunteer program by reading our Volunteer Handbook in the Volunteer Resources link listed below.
- Sign-up for a Project: Contact our Volunteer Coordinator and indicate the project location(s) and date(s) you’d like to attend. Once you sign up for a project you will be provided all necessary details to participate.;*You must sign up for a project before getting more information such as location and where to park.
- Join us for a day in the field: Our stewardship program manages natural areas throughout Ohio and your help is instrumental in completing the seasonal “to-do” list. Join us for a volunteer workday to remove invasive plants, improve trails, or collect seeds. Most workdays take place from 10:00am until 2:00pm.
- Visit our volunteer event pages, and choose which you would like to join.
- Help out with a special ongoing volunteer project: We have a few opportunities for individuals to take ownership of projects. See below for these options.
Welcome to the TNC Ohio Volunteer Program
Our energetic Conservation and Volunteer Coordinator, Angie Burke, will help you jump right in to becoming a volunteer. Whether you've done conservation work before or you are just learning how to get started, Angie can help you find your footing and will welcome you into our community.
Ongoing Volunteer Opportunities:
We have a few opportunities for individuals to take ownership of projects. Contact our Volunteer Coordinator if you are interested in any of the following:
- Regular preserve stewards to remove invasive plants at Kitty Todd Nature Preserve. Year round, Flexible schedule.
- Demonstration Garden maintenance at Kitty Todd Preserve. Weekly, March-November, Flexible schedule.
- Community outreach at local preserves, (Kitty Todd Preserve or Great Egret Marsh Preserve) or special events. Flexible schedule.
- Hike Leader and naturalist. First Saturday of each month May-October at Kitty Todd Preserve.
- Nature Center staff volunteer at The Dr. James K. Bissell Nature Center. Year round, Flexible schedule
- Regular preserve stewards to remove invasive plants. Year round, Flexible schedule. (Morgan Swamp Preserve; Lucia S. Nash Preserve, J. Arthur Herrick Fen Preserve)
- Demonstration Garden maintenance at the Dr. James K. Bissell Nature Center. Weekly, March-November, Flexible schedule.
- Community outreach at local preserves or special events. Flexible schedule.
- Biological Monitoring of pollinators at Big Darby Headwaters. April-October
- Trail and Natural Play Area Maintenance at Big Darby Headwaters. Year round, Flexible schedule.
- Regular preserve stewards to remove invasive plants at Big Darby Headwaters. Year round, Flexible schedule.
- General Office Assistance at TNC-Ohio Main Office location in Dublin. Year round, Flexible schedule.
- Trail Maintenance at The Edge of Appalachia Preserve System. Year round, Flexible schedule.
- Regular preserve stewards to maintain prairie openings and restoration sites. Year round, Flexible schedule.