At the Woodbourne Forest Preserve, open fields, wildflower meadows, winding creeks, mossy bogs and historic stone walls complete a scene that invites and inspires artists from far and wide. However, most visitors seek out the preserve to witness its ancient trees—a mixture of white pine, hemlocks, ash, maples, oaks and other hardwoods that blanketed the region prior to European settlement. In fact, a portion of the preserve contains the largest remaining old-growth forest in northeast Pennsylvania.
Donated by the conservation-minded family of Francis R. Cope, Jr., in 1956, the property represents TNC first preserve in the state of Pennsylvania. Over the years, TNC has added to the original contribution of 500 acres through land acquisitions and the continued generosity of the previous owners. TNC also works to build on their legacy of inspiring and educating others about this extraordinary landscape.
In 2006, the Keystone Trails Association restored existing trails and created new trails to mark the preserve’s 50th anniversary. TNC manages the preserve and its trails with help from a committed volunteer stewardship committee. The committee and volunteers also assist with implementing environmental education programs for local schools, scout troops, surrounding communities and other visitors.